Historic Trinity Lutheran Church was founded in 1850 as the first Missouri Synod Lutheran Church in Detroit. Historic Trinity Church soon became the Mother Church of Detroit Lutheranism as She began thirteen mission congregations throughout the City of Detroit that eventually grew to 132 different Lutheran parishes. Historic Trinity Church became the early cathedral church for Lutherans as they gathered for special worship services, and to organize such Lutheran institutions as the Lutheran School for the Deaf, the Detroit Lutheran Hour’s radio program, the Lutheran High School Association, Valparaiso University, the Lutheran Cemetery, and the Lutheran Fraternities of America.
Historic Trinity Church began in a wooden frame chapel on Larned St. In 1866, at the present site of Gratiot and Rivard, a large red brick church was dedicated. In 1931, the present architecturally excellent church facility was built with only the finest materials and craftsmanship. The finest in liturgical art can be found in Historic Trinity’s stone, glass, wood, tile and brass. Its style is 16th century Pier and Clerestory Gothic, similar to that seen only in the great cathedrals of Europe.
Today, Historic Trinity Lutheran Church is a National, State and Local Historic Designated Site. In keeping with its rich historical past, Historic Trinity Lutheran Church conducts worship services in the traditional Lutheran liturgy , providing the finest in preaching, superb teaching, and inspiring music. The cathedral serves as a rallying place for Special Worship Services for individuals from throughout Metropolitan Detroit. Many sons and daughters and friends of this significant parish appreciate the opportunity to “journey home” to Historic Trinity, the fastest growing church in downtown Detroit.